Finally...a break in the heat wave we've been having for the past three or four days! I'm scared to death of tornadoes and I wasn't exactly "panic attack free" when I saw the alert all over the TV, but luckily nothing happened. No damage, no tornado sightings, no hiding in the basement with all 3 kitties... but it was scary for a while there.
I decided to bake today because I knew some rain was coming though and I didn't see myself getting outside much because of it. I was craving something to go with my cup of coffee this afternoon and immediately remembered a recipe I'd been meaning to try that I found in my Mom's collection of recipes. It's from 1988 and I was a booming 2 years old when it came out HA! From Better Homes and Gardens, the Apple-Cinnamon Scone.
The cinnamon is what attracted it to me at first because I was planning on having spiced coffee and knew it would go perfectly with it...
I used a Golden Delicious apple... more of a medium size rather than small as the recipe suggested because I love love love chunks, even mouthfuls, of warm apple in any dessert.
The end result... I cut mine into 8 rather than 12 because I need a bigger scone than what the 12 slices would have given me; and it just sounded much better.
And THIS is what I see outside my kitchen window when the scones have 2 minutes left in the oven....eeeeeek!!!
Ready for testing....
The storm has passed... my coffee is fresh, hot, and ready to enjoy... and I topped my still warm scone with a light spread of All Fruit strawberry jam to add just a touch of sweetness. Mmmm-mmmm :) Nothing better...
-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
-1/2 c. wheat flour (I used Whole Wheat Graham Flour)
-1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/3 cup margarine
-1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
-1 small apple (I used a medium sized Golden Delicious and left the chopped pieces somewhat large)
-2 egg whites
-2 tbsp. apple juice OR skim milk
-2 tbsp. honey
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Cut in margarine until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in oats and chopped apple, then add egg whites & either apple juice or skim milk, and honey.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray & with floured hands (the dough is very sticky) pat dough into a 7-inch circle on the baking sheet.
- Cut into wedges (recipe says 12 wedges, I cut 8 instead) and seperate the wedges slightly (about a 1/4 inch in between each slice) with a spatula
- Brush the tops with more skim milk.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are golden colored. Serve warm with tea or coffee :)