Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Low Fat Blueberry Muffins

Well this is my first time doing this... both a blog and baking like a fiend while documenting each recipe but I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about it!

I woke up this morning already knowing it was going to be a good day to be in the kitchen. It was already a "work from home" day so I was prepared to keep the productivity going after I got all of my work projects and the first half of my 6 page paper for my internship class finished and that's exactly what I did.

We have what used to be about 100 blueberry bushes in our lot which may have dwindled down to a few less and each week we come back into the kitchen with about 3 medium sized bowls worth... and that's without putting a significant dent in the berries... so naturally I started off with basic Blueberry Muffins using a low-fat recipe on About.com. I made a few minor substitutions such as omitting the regular white sugar for raw sugar (which I feel tastes exactly the same) and was more than happy with the results. I'll be even happier tomorrow when I have one of these delicious muffins alongside my morning coffee.



Low-Fat Blueberry Muffins
-2 c. flour
-1/3 c. sugar (I used raw sugar instead)
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 cup milk (I used skim milk to omit some of the fat)
-2 tbsp canola oil
-1 egg, beaten slightly
-1 cup fresh blueberries (I just eyeball it - there's no such thing as TOO many blueberries)

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
  • In a small bowl, combine milk, canola oil, and egg
  • Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the milk mixture to this space
  • Mix well; fold in blueberries gently
  • Using a medium size ice cream scoop, distribute the batter evenly to 12 muffin cups
  • Bake 18-20 mins or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
  • Allow to sit while still in pan on a wire cooling rack; remove and store in air tight container or enjoy warm with a light spread of butter. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it sistah!