Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Layered Ice Cream Cake & White Wine Peach Sangria

Hope everyone's enjoying the scorching heat... I personally cannot wait until Fall arrives. It's the perfect season... I love the colors, the smells, the cool breeze that makes the weather just chilly enough for a scarf, a cardigan or sweater, and a hot cup of caramel apple cider at your favorite coffeehouse. My favorite recipes incorporate all of the best "Fall" spices... nutmeg and cinnamon... Oh and of course... Fall means PUMPKIN ANYTHING. Not to mention Thanksgiving and Halloween which I look forward to every other day of the year! I'm very blessed to live in a quiet, country setting like mine and people travel from all over to head to this part of CT and take in all the oranges, reds, browns, and yellows. Ah, it's beautiful. Apparently I'm the only person excited for Summer to head on out but who cares! So it's cook time....



It was my Mom's birthday this past weekend and I was in charge of making dinner, appetizers, and desserts (yikes) but I was excited to do it... especially because of the dessert portion of the birthday. My Mom absolutely loves the Carvel ice cream cakes with those chocolate crunchies and she had said she wanted an ice cream cake so I thought... rather than spending $20 on a cake that is exactly the same each and every year, why not make one instead? My mom always appreciates originality and loves when I take the time to make something rather than buy it.


So I found this recipe in the Family Circle magazine and it came out perfect! I made a few minor adjustments... added crushed Oreos in between each layer of ice cream to add the "crunchies" my Mom craved so very much, and used Organic Chocolate ice cream and Vanilla Bean for the three layers inside the cake. It was surprisingly easy to make and tasted out of this world delicious. My other family members/friends/and boyfriend are already asking me if I can make a spin off of this one for their birthdays using their favorite flavors....



Find the recipe here.... and enjoy it! I substituted lower fat and organic ice creams, light whipped topping and extra crushed Oreos because I prefer fewer calories when I'm going to indulge in something that's already so rich but you can substitute your favorite flavors!



To go along with dinner (and because it was borderline what felt like 100 degrees in the kitchen that day) my family always needs a "beverage" of some kind... Rather than stick to our regular Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon pairing, I spiced it up (literally) with a summer peach cocktail recipe that my friend Kathryn discovered and shared with everyone at a pool party Saturday. It is refreshing, delicious, and if you love fresh fruit as I do then there's nothing better!
I garnished the tops with extra slices of peaches. Why? Why not!? They're the perfect summer fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it sistah!