Friday, September 18, 2009

Tea, Mucinex, & No A.M. Run :(

So it finally happened... I got sick. I tried my best to avoid it but unfortunately, I didnt listen to my body like I should have. I woke up yesterday morning early to get a run in before work at 1130 and woke up an hour before my alarm went off because, well, I couldn't breathe.... fun fun! My throat was itchy and my legs felt tired.
So what did I do??? I drank a glass of water, got dressed, and headed out the door.
Poor form.
I went for a 3-mile run taking my hilly route and ended up power walking the 2 big hills on the way because of my shortness of breath. It was colder out too, which usually I LIKE when I'm running, but this just felt like too much... By the time I got home I was physically exhausted
Cut to WORK 2 hours later, after getting an absolutely perfect Hazelnut Coffee with cinnamon and milk at Starbucks... & forgetting I had it until AFTER morning shift ended and it was ice cold :( ALSO Poor form.... I raced around like a chicken with my head cut off from 1130-830 serving, bussing, answering phones, pouring drinks, NOT eating, & smiling as I did all five until I finally had the delightful opportunity to go home.
Needless to say... I got home around 930 and realized a few things:
* My Aldo ballet flats, although adorable and perfect with dresses, are NOT meant to be worn whilest in a restaurant that requires constant running
* If there is cheese present on the floor, use caution (I slipped and fell... really fun)
* Creeper men who try to start a convo with you whilest you're obviously doing 10 things at once & are not interested in 40-something year olds (unless you're one Jason Varitek, but lets not get started) are dense but still make work a little more entertaining
* DO NOT OVERWORK YOURSELF aka Listen to your body when it's telling you you've had enough!!!!!
I should have done that the morning I woke up and felt sickness coming on, but instead thought... I'm gonna feel even worse if I DON'T go and headed out the door... Gahhh, hate hate haaaate being sick!
Onto more fun things....Foodage.
Yesterday's lunch!
Greek salad from my family's favorite pizza place...
Lettuce, Feta, tomatoes (I added extra cause I do what I want! haha), red onions, and a side of Parmesan dressing... too thick so I ended up drizzling a little EVOO on top instead.. MUCH better :)

Then a mushroom lover's burger.
I'm obsessed!!! These are so so so good! If you haven't tried MorningStar burgers (which I'm absolutely sure 99% of you foodies have) they're awesome.
They also helped me all week keeping up with my no-meat quest... just as an experiment... and I haven't missed it at all!
I topped the burg with avocado (obvi), baby spinach, and a side of red pepper hummus ;)
All on a wheat Arnolds sandwich thin.
Just as good this time as every other time
I'd been telling my parents I would make a dessert for their "Date Night" dinner that they have every Wednesday (which I slowlyyy got incorporated into somehow aka they know I'll cook dinner if they bring the wine... smart rentys, no?)
Chocolate Chip Shortbread!
The recipe came from my new cookbook which I've been snagging a few recipes from here and there... it has yet to disappoint


Topped with melted raspberry preserves

I know, it's not the prettiest drizzling job ever but come on, chocolate chip shortbread.

Parentals loooove loved it... it's almost all finished.



My after lunch snacky-pooo
Cantaloupe with a dollop of Stonyfield French-Vanil yogurt and a sprinkle of Bearly Naked Granolz... nom nom nom.

And I spy a latte... shneaky shneaky ;)


Obvi needed my peanut butter fix since I went a day without it... how very sad.
Does anyone else get that?

Imagine your life without your favorite nut butter.. Dun dun dun!

I'll give you a minute to recover from that horrifying picture in your head

PB M&M's... luckily I stopped at this small handul.
Holy difficulty, let me tell ya.


Dinner:

My homemade Veggie Chili with a dollop of FF sour cream and low-fat homemade corn muffin
So filling and perfect on a cold day :)
Not pictured but ALWAYS present on Weds nights... a chilled glass of Chardonnay mm-hmmm


Breaky after my Run:

In this delish bowl:
* 1/2 c. Quaker oats
* 1 cup water
* 1 banana
* Tsp. of brown sugar
* Sprinkle of cinnamon
* Tbsp. Teddie all-natural smooth PB

15 mins later... DEVOURED.



Packed some yummies for my loooong day at work:
Granny Smith (my fav!), Chocolate Brownie Z-Bar (I didn't end up eating it but I'm looking forward to trying it - how do you guys rate these??), and a WW pita with hummus, mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, lettuce, and shredded carrots...
I feel like a deprived (and weird) country bumpkin of some sort saying this but....
I went into Shaw's after work and can I just say, their "healthy/all natural" section is phenom! Threee glorious aisles of almond & all other nut butters, frozen foods, cereals, granola bars galore, milks, soups, ahhhh I honestly felt like I had just walked into food heaven!!!!!
I wish I had snapped a picture because we unfortunately don't have things like this near my house... so I obviously grabbed all I could hold and rang myself out.
I came out with:
* Puffins Peanut Butter cereal
* 2 Larabars (Apple Pie & Cashew Cookie)
* Maple Nut Clif Bar
* Glenny's Soy Crisps

I haven't tried all of my finds yet but a few have already been devoured:
Peanut Butter Puffins- Yummy! I had some for dinner last night with a little skim and they were perfectly sweet, nowhere near overdoing the PB... I'm not a fan of chocolate or too much sweetness for breakfast so these would be a great cereal choice.
Apple Pie Larabar- Good, not GREAT... I know this is a big fav for alot of you but maybe I had gone into apple coma.. I had my Grannysmith just a few minutes before going shopping so I was kinda appled-out... I loved the big pieces and taste of nuts though!
Glenny's Soy Crisps- Delish with a capital "D" baby... I've been inhaling sweeter snacks lately and less savory ones so this saved me!
I would have grabbed more if I had more than two arms (both of which were weak beyond belief... I had Ol Lady bones by this point) but I plan on making a much more productive trip when I go into work again Saturday.
3pm - I'll be counting down til you get there.
Oh, and P.S. Almond butter is pricey, no?
Is a regular sized jar usually priced at about $8 or so whereever you are buying it?
Now, as titled, I'm going to drink my tea (blech... I want my coffee instead), med-up, and lay in divinely comfy bed whilest watching Will & Grace for the rest of my day aka you could probably expect another post later today kiddiesss as I'll be bed ridden and useless for a few hours ;)
But....Is there any light exercise that you would recommend when you're feeling under the weather?? My usual go-to is Yoga but I get the notion my runny nose won't appreciate Downward Facing Dog at the moment... yuck!



1 comment:

  1. sorry you're feeling under the weather :( i HATE being sick. i def would just relax and take it easy and don't exercise at all until you're feeling better. you don't wanna wear yourself out- you'll just be sick longer! boooo!

    pb puffins are soooo yummy! and omg could you imagine life without pb? gasssppp! almond butter is also wayyy more expensive, which sucks, but it's worth it!

    feel better girl :)

    ReplyDelete

Say it sistah!