Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple & Pumpkin Picking


It feels soooo good to sit and relax right now, I can't even tell you. I've had a super-long but soo super-fun day! Beginning after breakfast... scratch that: my AMAZING breakfast. I love good ol' oats... They're probably the only reason I didn't keel over halfway through the day. I (unintentionally) didn't get a chance to eat lunch during my busy day so I thanked my lucky stars I had invested in a quality breaky like that...

So after breakfast Danielle & I headed to the Farmer's Market in town..

Unfortunately, they didn't have as good a spread this weekend as they did last weekend. Alot of pumpkins, gourds, etc. but because we were planning on pumpkin picking later that didn't really interest me. We eyed some eggplants, corn, flowers... but nothing really caught my attention.

So then we headed off to the gym....

I decided to really kick it up a notch (BAM!!) to prepare for the road race next month and did some intervals during my run. It's so cold out already in CT making it so difficult for me to get the courage to do my runs outside so the best I can think to do right now is just make my run as close to the real thing as possible... and that means NOT running at a zero incline the whole time (not to mention I tend to get bored running at the same pace and same incline for the whole time)

I ran:

On the treadmill 50 minutes / 4.5 miles / 523 calories

I practiced the "2 every 2" technique that Danielle suggested.... upped the incline 2.0 every 2 minutes, taking a break in between every few "reps" of this by jogging at a 0.0 incline...

This worked wonders!!! I wasn't tired, I wasn't bored, and I even increased my speed for the majority of the run... and kept my speed at 6.0 for even the highest inclines! This is pretty big for me because my shin splints make it pretty difficult to run inclines comfortably. I was really happy with this workout and felt the affects from it allll dayyyy aka tired legs...



After our workout we researched Pick Your Own pumpkin & apple picking locations in our area and found a perfect farm for both!



March Farms was adorable... with a huge selection (over 14 different apples were available for picking!) Unfortunately I was hoping for two things: 1) Honeycrisps and 2) Galas.... The Honeycrisps were pretty much nonexistant but I WAS lucky enough to find a good Gala or two ;)



Funnest day EVER....

Fresh made Apple Muffin from the March Farms Store.. sooo delicious!!
This was the closest thing to "lunch" that I got today...


Having fun with the pumpkins :)


Beautiful view from the top of the hill... and two lovelies posing for the picture haha

Collecting some goodies...

Lauryn was the designated "climber" and she did a wonderful job!


Gotta taste test em right???

So after freeezing for about an hour, pulling Lauryn around in the wagon, climbing trees despite signs that said NAY to that, and taking wayy too many pictures.. we took our loot (plus our pumpkins!! yes, we did pick out the big orange beauties along with our apples) and headed home...

I was STARVING by this time (around 5pm) so I snacked on this at Laur's house...
Fiber One Multigrain english muffin toasted with chunky Skippy PB ... ehhh, wouldn't usually use the fake stuff but I was about to gnaw my arm off and needed a dose of that craaaaack!
Along with one of my beauties from the apple picking adventure!! Sprinkled with cinnamon & a drizzle of local honey.. mmmmm :)


Then finally went home and had the longest most needed shower of my life & made a much needed comfort food dinner...
Baked eggplant "parm" minus the cheese but with the sauce...
Salad with Goat cheese, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms & a side of Annie's Ginger dressing...


Oh.. and dessert ;) This times two...
Yes those are Vicky's PJ pants... at 830pm.. on a Saturday.

If you couldn't tell, I skipped out on the power hour party. I don't have nearly enough energy to get dressed, put on makeup, and drink massive amounts of beer. Blechhh....

I do however, have enough energy to cozy up on the couch and watch The Break-Up and maybe have another glass of wine...

What did you end up doing today??

Have you or are you planning on going apple or pumpkin picking this season? It was sooo fun and definitely worth the chilly walk around! :)

1 comment:

  1. I loved going to the pumpkin patch when i was kid but now we just opt for the grocery store pumpkins haha. Honestly, I love lazy nights in they are always enjoyable! I went to verona today =)

    ReplyDelete

Say it sistah!